The Series Cultural Consultant will work with a Upcoming CG Series production, and report to the series’ Producer in an effort to offer insight and guidance regarding the various characters and cultures represented in the content and within the crew. This role is responsible for keeping the content in accordance with Nickelodeon’s Diversity and Inclusion (D&I) efforts and in alignment with ViacomCBS’ overall diversity and inclusion strategy.
While the Cultural Consultant will work primarily with series production and the series Executive in Charge (EIC) to help review/inform/educate on cultural matters indicative to the characters being portrayed. The consultant will also collaborate with Talent and PR departments to help ensure that the content and related talent are represented authentically that is as diverse as its audience.
- Review series materials and assets at key creative stages (i.e. premises, outlines, script, storyboard, design, animatic and animation) to ensure the content is properly representative of the people, cultures, and backgrounds therein while keeping to production deadlines.
- Identify potential character and story issues for production and suggest appropriate solutions that may include but are not limited to reference materials, 3rd party business partners, and vendors.
- Evaluate the cultural needs of the series and crew and offer support and guidance to maintain a diverse community.
- Provide deep subject-matter expertise and lead series to problem solve, design, and deliver strategic solutions.
- Provide specific, practical, and actionable tools and resources (i.e. guides, templates, questions, etc.) to help advance D&I efforts and provide a measurement of results.
- Stay up to date on the latest topics and trends in the inclusion space.
- Facilitate communication in a timely manner between production unit and studio regarding production issues, questions, and materials.
- Host D&I-focused conversations with production, foster spaces for candid conversation. Provide on-going reporting in partnership with EIC, Recruitment, and PR to measure the effectiveness of diversity and inclusion practices.
- Update Producer and EIC with status updates in a timely manner on the status of consultant-related efforts and projects.